Today is a special time - it's Matariki. Matariki is when there are 7 VERY bright stars that shine in the night sky brighter than any other night. They represent the Maori New Year.
Today is a very special day for Ngatimoti School because we are celebrting Matariki in special ways.
Next it was time to do the . . . MID WINTER SWIM!brrrr! We are having our mid winter swim to also celebrate Matariki. The weather looks a bit shivery but thats why it's called the mid winter swim, well some of us do.The only reason that madison and I didnt go in the pool because we are SCAREDY CATS! (but dont tell anyone SHHH!)......
For those that went in the mid winter swim, what was it like to get in and out of the pool?
for those that didn't get in the pool What did you learn about matariki?
17 comments:
I learnt that it was the shortest day of the year and that there is matariki tonight the seven starster then will light up the sky and shine brighter than ever New Maori Year do you like the matariki and why?
Wow. You guys are so brave. It must have been FREEZING.
I was talking to some principals that came visiting your school last week and they said they loved their visit.
You have a great school.
Allanah
Today was fun. The mid winter swimmers looked blue when they came out of the pool. They were lucky enough to warm up with a hot chocolate drink.
I am really enjoying learning about Matariki.Do you know the type of trees we planted today to celebrate Matariki?
Every days a good day to hug a tree, I mean plant a tree!!!!-Madison Ngatimoti School Motueka.
The water looked really cold by the sound the people in the pool made it must have been cold.
casey
that swim was so freezing and your body went red!
Brrrrrr! that looked pretty freezing I wouldn't dare do that.But you guys did probably because we hadn't splash in so long.
Corbin
OOOOO! that looks pretty cold. I heard that Anetas legs were so cold
that she could draw a smiley face on her leg and it will stay there for
six seconds- KAHU Ngatimoti Room2 mot
brrrrrrrrr that was fresing andit made me turn blue.
by Bryn :]
The girls where screaming so much, BRRRRRR we were as blue as the couler blue and could not feel our legs. After we had a warm milo!!!
yumy.
Zeb and Piers
That wetaer woud of been COOLED!!!!!!!
I was sick the day it happen.
I woud have liked to go in for a swim.
Joe-
BRRRRRRRRR that must have bean very very cooled for those people that have done the mitt winter swim!!
I didn't want to do the swim because I didn't want to turn blue.
Isha-]
KIM-it was nice and warm i am going to take the baton at10 pm on a frosty night thats fun ha ha
:]
It's true madison and I are scaredy cats of cold water. Brrrrr! cant't wait til next years Matariki so we can go in the mid winter swim. Have our trees that we planted grown yet?-Payton:)
You guys are so brave. It looked freezing. Can't wait till next years Matariki. Taylor
MADISON- The people that did the mid winter swim were brave.It was fun taking the photos of the mid winter swimmers love the one of Amy by the way HA! What do you think we should do next year for Matariki?
Man that must have been freezing we dont do anything like that in shakey Christchurch! Well done those who did it, hopefully we can organise something like that in CHCH for next year!
Jessica - Woodend, CHCH
the pool wasso cold, but iput my hed under 2 times
rowena
Post a Comment