Hi, it's Corbin here. Cameron is going to help me type the blog post about today. Zephyr, Piers, Taylor, Karina, Snow and I all made a compass together. Yesterday we read an explanation about how to make a compass so today we made one.
Firstly we gathered the materials. We needed a leaf, pin, magnet, and a bowl of water. Corbin brought a needle from home, so he got it out of his bag. Then we filled the bowl with water.
Meanwhile Taylor and Karina collected some flat leaves for sitting the needle on. In class Piers, Snow and I were trying to float the leaves they brought in the bowl of water. After we had rubbed the needle end on the magnet, we floated the needle on the leaf and it pointed in a north and south direction.
I recommend you should try this at home with your family or friends and see if it does point in a north and south direction. How do you think it works?
5 comments:
It looks like fun.
ROWENA
I thought the way the needle pointed was wrong because it pointed lots of directions. It was still a very interesting activity. Corbin.
I've made a compass before, but I did it a slightly different way. But my one pointed south instead of north! Im not sure how it works, but I think that the needle is magnetic so it points magnetic north.
Have you ever made a compass?
Jasmin, Ngatimoti School, Motueka.
That looks really fun and exciting I wish I could make a leaf magnet would you be able to tell me how to make one.
casey
WOW! that looks awsome. Thats a well made compass. Thats a good
compass for when your out in the wild lost.
Post a Comment